About the Journal

Download [This article belongs to Volume - 140, Issue - 06]

Abstract : The study entailed estimating the prevalence of Entamoeba spp. among symptomatic outpatients from April 2021 to March 2022 using microscopy and an ELISA antigen test. Stool samples were taken from 2592 patient with amoebiasis symptoms who visited Hevii pediatric hospital and Azadi Teaching hospital in Duhok city. Patients ranged in age from 1 to 60 and were of both sexes. To look for Entamoeba spp. infection, all samples that were obtained underwent microscopic examination. Using direct wet mount and formalin-ether concentration procedures. In order to distinguish the Entamoeba histolytica/Entamoeba dispar complex from another species of amoebae, we used ELISA antigen to determine the intestinal amoebiasis misdiagnosis linked with microscopic analysis of feces. Microscopically 21.68% (562/2592) were positive, for Entamoeba spp. Males showed highest infection than females (67.43% vs 32.56%). Ages from 1-10 years showed the highest rate (54.09%), and urban inhabitant had a higher rate than rural (58.54% vs 41.45%) which was statistically non-significant(P>0.05). ELISA antigen was used to analyze 562 positive stool samples for the presence of E. histolytica/E. dispar antigen. The Tech Lab ELISA based antigen detection kit specific only for E. histolytica in stool samples recorded that 177/562(31.49%) were positive for E. histolytica, while the remaining negative 385/562(68.50%) were considered to be E. dispar. This indicates that the great common of Entamoeba infections in this region were nonpathogenic.

Copyright © 2020 All rights reserved | Bulletin of National Institute of Health Sciences